Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Angel's Flight and Miu Miu

Millard Sheets; Angel's Flight,1931, 
LACMA, American Art Department

I was at LACMA a couple of days ago and stopped to look at this beautiful painting. The ladies in it looked so stylish. What were they doing on what seemed to be a hot day in old Downtown LA? Then I noticed the shoes... wait a minute... I zoomed in...


hmm look at those shoes... don't they look like… THE Miu Miu Booties... ??? Ah the Miu Miu glitter booties...

When I first saw them months ago, I thought they were the ugliest thing I had ever seen. I know Miu Miu often takes risks (I mean have you seen the leather skirts and the wedges from the SS12 collection??), but this seemed to be a little too much for my taste level. I felt validated in my opinion by Giorgio Armani's rant about how Prada makes ugly stuff. I even brought up the topic with my friends. Emergency, Miu Miu made something ugly and everybody loves it (isn't that often the case though in fashion?). How is it possible and why am I not getting it? I ran to my fashion-expert friend Becks to see what she thought. She reminded me of how Miuccia Prada often pushes the envelope and then everyone follows. Food for thought. I still was not convinced. And then I saw them on Diane Kruger and the heavens opened up and it was all OK again. It all made sense.

They are simply genius!!

Can't wait to see what designers will come up with next season... almost here!
What do you think about the Miu Miu glitter booties? Ugly or genius?

2 comments:

  1. I have realized as of late that I myself am not a fashion genius. I like what I like and that is all there is to it. However, I do know how to dress when money comes my way. A little Audrey Hepburn if you will. Having shared the background on my fashion sense, my vote is genius. I love how cute yet special they are. Thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you JC! And yes, I can totally see your style as Audrey Hepburn-esque. You have the same grace and natural elegance. Glad you find the booties genius! : )

    ReplyDelete